The Role of the Coach
The Role of the Coach is not complicated from a high level point of view.
The Role of the Coach is not complicated from a high level point of view. They simply encourage, enrich people’s lives, and pass on some of their experience and wisdom.
A good coach will help you define your Vision. Vision answers the questions;
- What will the future look like as we fulfill our mission?
- Where do we want to be?
- What do we want to become?
- It communicates both the purpose and values of your business.
Your Mission statement is about today and the immediate future. Your Mission answers the questions;
- Why do we exist?
- How will we get to where you want to be?
- It defines the purpose and primary objectives related to your customer needs and team values?
Then through the process of gaining Clarity (knowing the why, purpose and values of the Vision / Mission), Focus (learn to Focus on the High leverage Activities that produce the greatest results) and Execution (defining the strategies and activities to complete the High Leverage Activities) your coach will guide you to achieve your specific vision(s) and mission(s).
Your coach wants to get to know you, to find out what motivates you, and to build a relationship of trust. A good coach should help you define your in-born gifts and acquired talents. The coach should guide you to use these gifts and talents in pursuit of your defined goals. You must feel comfortable sharing problems and asking questions. An experienced coach knows that just being a good listener is often the best plan of action. Most times the answer to the question lies inside the person being coached. They simply needed the venue to talk through the issue to come to the answer.
Coaching is similar to consulting. However, consulting provides temporary or intermittent solutions. Coaching is a consistent, ongoing relationship where the coach stays with you to help implement new skills, changes and goals. Another distinction is that consulting often involves dispensing advice, telling people what they should do. Coaching is different in that it focuses on assisting you to discover and implement the solution.
Ask anyone who knows Ross or has participated in one of his coaching sessions or attended any of his numerous classes or events, and they will vouch for the deep love and respect he has for people, and what it means personally to see them grow. Ross says “I think I often get too much credit for the growth individuals and couples make in their lives. It is my job to create the atmosphere and provide strategies and tools but they most often come up with the answers and do the work.”
You don’t want to spend your life as if this is just a practice run. Or worse, convince yourself that life is “OK” and ignore that little voice inside that keeps saying “there’s got to be more to life than this”. Some people have no idea what they really want and what will truly make them happy. Others are held back by fears of success or failure. Others just have mental blocks called blind spots. They play mind games and have thoughts like;
- I don’t have enough time
- I don’t deserve it
- I’d never be able to achieve ______
- I don’t have the ability
- I don’t know how
- You have to have money to make money
- My ____________ wouldn’t approve
- I have too many responsibilities
- And the list goes on and on…
All these thoughts are nothing more than excuses. Oh don’t worry, many people have used these excuses – we all have at some point. Whenever we use these excuses we put a “governor on our throttle”.
Regardless of the level you are at today, Ross wants you to be more successful. He truly believes he can help you reach whatever goal(s) you set just as he has helped thousands of people before. When the time comes he will introduce you to other coaches, like his personal coach Tony Jeary. That is the Role of the Coach – to help you succeed, help you reach your goals, manifest your mission, and realize your vision.
Top 20 Reasons You Need A Coach
- Take your passion and turn it into a Vision for your life
- Get perfect Clarity about the said Vision – an unfettered view of your vision is achieved when you understand the why, purpose and value of your vision
- Become laser Focused – define and record the high leverage activities and what the objectives of the high leverage activities are that will move the results needle the fastest
- Execute the high leverage activities – articulate and document what the strategies and action steps are to complete the high leverage activities
- Change and or refine your abilities to deal with life’s challenges
- Provide you with valuable feedback or make suggestions that will enable you to improve your skills ultimately leading to your improved performance.
- Overcome your excuses
- Compress your results time – because of the coaches past failures and experiences
- The coaches contacts – your network = your net worth
- Business and life skills – learn best practices from someone who has been there
- Lift you up and make you more successful
- Teach you how to properly analyze deals
- Review any projects or deals that you already have – look for ways to improve
- Evaluate what is working and what is not working and adjust as necessary
- Clarify the goals and objectives for you and your business as you progress
- Higher learning or understanding of current business strategies
- Evaluate and discover ways to improve on the four primary business practices of Structure, Strategy, Culture and Execution and the four secondary business practices of Innovation, Talent, Leadership and Mergers/Acquisitions
- Create corporate governance and values
- Assess your corporate structuring for maximum risk management
- Weigh your work/life balance so we truly develop and design the life you really want
Typical Coaching Questions
Should I invest in a coach?
Great question and often the first question persons new to considering a coach ask themselves. It is an important question to ask before investing a lot of time or money. Many new investors think that they need to quit their job to get started in real estate or business. This is of course not true. Many investors and business owners that Ross has worked with have successfully built large businesses while enjoying the stability of their full-time job. If you have limited time, and you would like to build a scalable and sustainable business, then investing in a coach is a smart investment since your time will be at a premium and a coach will be able to show you how to maximize your available time.
If you have more time and want to get started fast, coaching is also a great investment. A coach will steer you away from mistakes that cost both time and money. The coach can keep you on track and accountable. If you prefer to work as a “lone ranger”, it will be difficult for you to create the success you are looking for. This is not to say that the lone ranger approach is not possible, but the benefit of having a coach as a vital part of your support system is an obvious plus. Remember, even the Lone Ranger had Tonto as support.
What is the investment?
Investing in a coach needs a monetary investment and this is a deterrent for some. You must always be willing to invest in the one thing that no one else will invest in – you! When you think about it logically not investing in a coach will likely be even more costly. Business and real estate is a “big numbers” game and even a small mistake can be financially devastating. People who invest in the right coach always comment it was the best investment they ever made and not only made them more money but just as importantly saved them money mainly from avoiding costly mistakes and compressing time frames.
How do I find a coach to help me get started in real estate?
Finding the right coach is key. Every successful business owner needs a coach or mentor. The opportunity to tap into the knowledge, experience and connections of a coach is worth the investment a thousand times over. Make sure whoever you hire is qualified. Having 10,000 hrs in the coaching field is a good barometer. Ask for referrals, and hunt for coaches who have tangible business experience, solid credentials and client testimonials.
What will happen during the time with my coach?
Unlike other coaching programs Ross doesn’t have a set curriculum since every client is at a different point in their personal and professional life. Because of Ross’ vast experience and knowledge he is able to meet you at your current level and customize a coaching program so you get the results you desire faster. What you can expect is to have your business take quantum leaps. The coach will take you from where you are today, and by identifying and clarifying your vision, then focusing on the high leverage activities, you can expect to see the results needle move quickly when you leave with a strategic action plan!
How much coaching do you need?
Coaching should be thought of as an ongoing process – not a one-time quick fix. Athletes understand this. Just because Tiger Woods is arguably the best golfer in history he still works with his coach on an ongoing basis – just as do all top performers. Too start with, Ross recommends a minimum of 2 days and at most 3 days as a good time frame to get to know you, your current business, and your plans for the future. Then a future session intervals of coaching will be decided on by the client and Ross.
Who can attend?
Ross’ daily fee doesn’t change regardless of how many people there are. However any group over 10 people he will require an assistant, to maximize the client experience, which adds to the daily cost. But to answer the question of who can attend is totally up to the client. Keep in mind however that the more people there are the less individual time there will be. Ross has worked with corporations where all the executives and team leaders attend the coaching session. This makes sense when you consider that there is a common business with common goals and getting all parties on the same page and headed the same direction is good business.
Where will the coaching take place?
Rich With Ross clients can attend the Rich With Ross studio in the BC interior or Ross can come to you. Please contact the Rich With Ross office and discuss what arrangement would be best for you.